Call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card. (If there is a separate number for mental health or behavioral health plans, call that number instead.)
Inform them that you are planning to see a clinical psychologist for individual therapy, and ask them the following questions:
- Do I have out-of-network benefits which I can use to receive reimbursement for individual therapy?
- What is the rate of reimbursement for individual therapy?
- Is there an annual deductible which must be met before reimbursement is available to me?
- Is there a maximum number of visits allowed per year? If so, how many?
- Can you describe the process for submitting claims for reimbursement?
- How long, on average, does it take to receive the payment after a claim is submitted?